For further reading
- Christian Social Action (CSA) magazine
The complete contents of recent CSA issues is available on line at:
- "The Terrorism of Want" Scripture compels us to open the gates of oppressive globalization and
let all of God's people into the marketplace! by David Wildman,
CSA, July-Aug. 2003, pp. 4-9.
- "Sounding Trumpets" By faith the walls of Jericho fell, after the people had marched around
them for seven days. Hebrews 11:30. by Sharon Delgado, CSA, Nov.-Dec. 2003, pp. 6-8.
- Janet Allen, (Environmental Justice Coordinator, Board of Church and Society, NCNY Conference),
has a report "The Northeast Jurisdiction Church and Society gathering Many great ideas
(and one disturbing surprise)" on the globalization gathering in the December issue of the NCNY
"Connections" newsletter. The article is available on-line, in PDF format, at
- The Jan/Feb 2004 issue of The Other Side (TOS) magazine includes several articles that deal
specifically with topics of the Globalization gathering. (Some articles are posted on the TOS web page a
few weeks after publication: www.theotherside.org ).
- Born-Again Mammon, by Hal Taussig
We are right to oppose the abuses of global capitalism. But there's another story--visionary business
people are using the tols of capitalism to bring justice and hope to poor communities around the world.
- The Corporate Body and the Body of Christ, by Scott Klinger.
We don't need gradual migrations from the worst excesses of capitalism. We need a whole new bottom line.
- Our Mart, Not Wal-Mart, by Judy Wicks.
Is the independently-owned neighborhood ice-cream parlor the real alternative to corporate globalization. The local living economy movement thinks so."
There are also short commentaries on "Profiting Prisons" and on indigenous peoples "Reclaiming their Power.
- Plenary presentations from the Dec. 8-9, 2003 Conference of the Religious Working Group
on the World Bank and International Monetary Fund in Washington, DC are available on-line
(streaming audio/video), including presentations by Marie Dennis, Rabbi Arthur Waskow, Fred Azcarate,
Dennis Brutus,Marie Clarke, Magda Lanuza, Njoki Njehu and Phyllis Bennis
- The beginning of 2004 marks 10th Anniversary of NAFTA (North America Free Trade Agreement); see
commentary on the proposed Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA).
Last Updated: Jan. 2, 2004
Created: Jan. 2, 2004